Carriage Hills Recommends Regular Pet Health & Wellness Care for Every Adult Dog
The dog: man’s best friend, our protector throughout history, a willing and engaging companion. Carriage Hills Animal Hospital is dedicated to helping you create a positive relationship with your canine companion while supporting health and longevity. We design a wellness plan tailored to the needs of your dog and your life together.
East Montgomery pet owners visit our Vaughn Road Veterinary Clinic for the same extraordinary pet wellness care and a selection of essential services in an intimate setting.
Health & Wellness Care for Every Dog
Perhaps the most important part of caring for your pet is the regular wellness examination. We recommend healthy adult dogs be seen twice annually while those with chronic illnesses, compromised immune systems, or senior pets may require exams more often.
These visits are important, an opportunity for your veterinarian to thoroughly examine your dog and identify problems early before they become more serious. This allows us to get to know you and your dog, so we can help you make the best decisions possible surrounding your pet’s care. Wellness visits are also a great time to discuss any concerns or questions you may have.
At the Wellness Exam
Your dog’s wellness exam involves a variety of steps:
- Vaccinations—Vaccines allow us to prevent or minimize common diseases, ultimately keeping your pet healthier. Your veterinarian recommends vaccines for your dog based on age, lifestyle, and history. Every effort is made to move toward a triennial vaccine interval as your pet ages.
- Parasite Prevention—Fleas, ticks, heartworms, and intestinal parasites all threaten your dog’s health. Some of these parasites can even affect people. Safe, effective preventive medications will be recommended depending on your pet’s individual needs.
- Wellness screening—Blood work and fecal screenings allow us to monitor your pet for early signs of disease. These screenings can provide valuable information regarding your pet’s overall health. They are also valuable in establishing a baseline for your pet as a reference, should he or she become ill.
- Spay or neuter services—Spaying or neutering is one of the easiest ways to add years to your dog’s life. Unaltered animals are much more likely to roam, increasing the risk of being hit by a car or lost. Spaying or neutering also greatly decreases the risk of certain kinds of cancer, an enlarged prostate gland, and life-threatening uterine infections later in life. In some cases, laparoscopic methods can be used for the least invasive procedure possible.
- Dental care—Dental disease is one of the most common problems seen in our animal companions. Periodontal disease leads to bad breath, infections, and diseases of the heart and kidneys.
- Pet nutrition—A good diet is the foundation of a healthy pet. We discuss your dog’s nutritional requirements and recommend a diet plan tailored to his or her needs.
Learn what to expect from your pet wellness exams.