A day at the beach can be a great way for you and your pet to spend a summer day. Just keep in mind a few precautions about it comes to pets and water safety. From helping your pet safely navigate the waters at the lake to making sure he or she is tick-free at the end of the day, these tips will help keep your pet safe and your day stress-free.
Planning for Pet Safety Before You Go…
As with any pet-friendly outdoor activity, there are a few considerations to make before you hit the road. You will, of course, want to make sure that your dog is wearing a breakaway collar with current ID tags. The breakaway collar helps to ensure that if the collar does get caught Continue…
This past Sunday, May 4, Carriage Hills Animal Hospital hosted its sixth annual Celebration of Life event to honor the pets, and pet parents, that have survived major illness or injury. The tenacious spirit these pets have shown in battling their conditions, combined with the unending love and support of the owners, is a testament to the power of the human-animal bond. Celebration of Life is an event we are honored to hold, year after year.
While it feels impossible to put into words the love and gratitude that is shared during this event, we are humbled to have been a part of these pets’ survival stories. It is our hope that, by bringing attention to the success stories of these pets, pet owners facing the same difficult odds will be inspired. We want them to know that success is possible and help them keep the faith if their pet is faced with major illness or injury. Continue…
While it may seem like an easy task, choosing the right pet food for your individual pet can be difficult. Deciphering the different brands, styles, and flavors can be overwhelming. What should you look for? Why would you choose one food over another? A lot of these decisions can be made by reading the pet food labels on the bag. Unfortunately, that can also be tricky without some prior knowledge of what to look for.
Use this primer to familiarize yourself with what to look for on pet food labels. Arm yourself with the knowledge you need to choose the best food for your pet.
The name of the food can tell you a lot. Consider this:
- If the food has one word like ‘beef’ or ‘chicken’ in the name (Fido’s Favorite Beef Dog Food), it must contain more than 95% of that ingredient.
- If the food has the word ‘dinner’, ‘platter’, or ‘Entree’ in the name (Fido’s Favorite Beef Dinner), it must contain at least 25% of that ingredient.
- If the food contains the word ‘with’, it contains at least 3% of that ingredient (e.g., Fido’s Favorite Beef Dinner (25%) for Dogs with Carrots (3%))
- The term ‘flavor’ indicates that the ingredient is present in sufficient quantity to be detected on analysis.
- Be aware that, in pet food, terms like ‘premium’, ‘holistic’, ‘natural’ or ‘organic’ carry no legal bearing and the foods that bear these terms are legally held to no different standards than other foods. However, if the food carries the USDA Organic label, it does meet human organic standards, and should be able to meet this criteria under inspection.